serenaajoyce

A fashion and lifestyle blog by Serena Javens

Wedding Wednesday: 10 Tips For Wedding Dress Shopping

Happy Wedding Wednesday! I can't believe that a few weeks ago I had my very first wedding dress appointment! Our wedding still isn't until June 11, 2021, but I always love being over-prepare then rushed and behind. It's also so hard to believe that the engagement happened about 6 months ago. 

*Dress being shown is not a dress that is in my top choices for the big day*

When planning your own wedding doesn't seem stressful enough... dress shopping comes along. Finding your dress is supposed to be one of the greatest moments in life, and a very fun day for you and your besties. It's easy to get very overwhelmed and turn it around. Today I wanted to come on and share a few tips for wedding dress shopping that I learned along the way, and to help all the bride-to-be's out there! 


I sort of had an idea of what to expect when going Wedding dress shopping because I've truly dreamt of the moment my entire life. I've had my Pinterest board planned for years with tons of great tips and tricks to help me with my wedding! When I went to David's Bridal, I made sure to have my Pinterest board out and ready to go to also give my consultant a better idea of what I was looking for. So here's what I learned so far!

1. ) CREATE A PINTEREST BOARD/MOOD BOARD
As I mentioned above, my Pinterest board has all of my inspiration, and everything I want to remember to do for the big day. If Pinterest isn't your thing, and then I suggest getting a large piece of foam board and start glueing, and pinning, and printing photos to that to create an idea of what you are looking for so you have an idea for when you start your dress search!

2. ESTABLISH A BUDGET
Probably one of the more awkward things about buying a wedding dress... Who's paying for it? A budget needs to be established for all parties paying for the dress. Set yourself a number, and stick to it. As I learned over the many years of watching Say Yes To The Dress, I learned to never try on a dress that was outside of my budget. Sure, it might sounds fun, but you don't want to end up falling in love with $7,000 dress and your budget is $2,500. Remember, you set a budget. Stick to it. It's a very quick and fast wedding day. Do not spend an arm and leg on something you will only be wearing for 6 hours!

3. SHOP THE EARLIEST YOU CAN
Our wedding day still isn't for another year and a half, but it will be here before we know it! It is recommended to shop about 8-12 months in advance. This will make sure your selection isn't limited based on ordering time frame, and incase you don't find your dress the first time. Don't stress too much about maintaining your weight, because that is why there are multiple fittings down the road! It is never too early to shop!

4. DO NOT SHOP WITHOUT AN IDEA OF WHAT YOU WANT
This is why the mood board is important. If you don't know what you want, most likely you will not find anything you're looking for because you will be overly confused with all the styles and fits you will try on. You will also definitely annoy your consultant because she will have no direction with where to go. Your budget, taste, and vision are some of the first questions you will be asked, so come prepared.

5. BRING APPROPRIATE SHOES/UNDERGARMENTS
Make sure to bring heels a similar height to those you will be wearing on your wedding day. It will give you a good idea how length of dress you will need, and how the dress will look on you. It's also a good idea to bring your own undergarments just incase your bridal salon does not have any. Bring a strapless nude bra, and nude underwear. Dresses can be very sheer and revealing, so you don't want your undergarments to be distracting and take away from the dress. Luckily David's Bridal had a bustier incase I didn't have anything, but honestly, I'm just going to go braless on my wedding day anyways. 

6. TRY ON THINGS OUTSIDE YOUR COMFORT ZONE.
Let your consultant pick a few things out. She's seen it all, and knows what dresses fit certain ways, and after getting to know you and your style, she will be able to figure out something that you might not have thought to try! That's how I found all my prom dresses.

7. KEEP YOUR ENTOURAGE SMALL
It can be super tempting to want to include everyone on such a big day, but too many opinions can be quite overwhelming. Limit your group to no more than 4-5 people to ensure you aren't losing your own voice. Going with my mom was super easy because it was just her opinion and no one else swaying me one way or the other. It's personally all up to you to decide on how many people you want to bring!

8. THINK ABOUT YOUR VENUE
Keep in mind the theme of your wedding. You want your dress to match and create a story. Having a romantic, elegant wedding? You probably wouldn't want to pick plain jane. Something with lace, fairy princess, and flow-y would be a great fit. Same goes for a beach wedding. A ballgown probably wouldn't be the best idea for a hot summer day in the sun.

9. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SAY YES TO A DRESS YOUR FIRST APPOINTMENT 
I didn't! I need my options. You only get married once! (hopefully). It stresses me out thinking about all the beautiful dresses I may never get to try on, so I don't want to limit my dress search to only one shop. You also don't need to say yes right away because this is such a huge decision. Sometimes all it takes it sleeping on it, and stepping away for a little bit to figure out what you want. You can always go back!

10. YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU FOUND THE ONE
It's true. The tears people cry on Say Yes To The Dress are real. I put one of the dresses on at David's Bridal and truly looked at myself and started tearing up. I couldn't believe it was truly me in that dress! You also won't want to take it off, and you'll just want to dance around in it! This is exactly how I felt. However, I still have my dream dress  to try on, and I can't say yes to any dresses just yet until I try on this dress.


Enjoy the ride! Hopefully these tips will help your wedding dress shopping experience be seamless and fun!


No comments

Post a Comment